inequalities elimination, social inclusion, and information for all
accessibility for everyone
The project includes the following:
- recording the accessibility potential within the intervention area addressed by the Sustainable Urban Development Strategy of the Municipality of Kavala, focusing on man-made features of the city’s urban environment (accommodation, transportation, sights, monuments, archaeological and religious sites, beaches, theatres, cinemas, municipal agencies, health services, dining venues, commercial stores, sports venues, parking stations, and more),
- digitalizing the collected data, set in a format suitable for further integration and use by other digital applications of the Municipality of Kavala,
- creating a “guide for citizens and visitors with reduced mobility”, which will provide information in Greek and English, while it will also be published in digital formats for audiences with various types of disabilities.
The project’s benefits can be identified in the following four sectors:
- Elimination of social exclusion of people with disabilities: Securing accessibility may contribute fundamentally on the enhancement of self-esteem, the improvement of communication, and upgrade of the quality of life of disabled people, as well as of the whole population in total.
- Promotion of cultural heritage: The project’s outcome will become an essential medium for the promotion of the city’s cultural assets to the large group of people with disabilities, who –due to the lack of proper infrastructure– are substantially difficult to be addressed.
- Tourist growth: The creation of accessible cultural venues will contribute to the increase of visitors, as people with disabilities are a particular tourist group that selects a destination based on very specific criteria.
- Digital convergence: Accessibility will be achieved to a great extent by taking advantage of the modern digital media, via which the disabled people will identify the appropriate venues for accommodation, entertainment, dining, and more, and will plan their visits.