The project aims to:
- upgrade the energy efficiency of the buildings and the courtyard of the 12th Elementary School of Kavala [exterior thermal insulation (shell), passive shading systems, extra energy-efficient lights, solar panels cluster of a total area of 100 m2 to provide warm water, and more],
- improve the accessibility infrastructure for people with disabilities; for instance, by installing an elevator and constructing an outdoor ramp,
- establish new sanitation facilities and renovate the existing ones,
- create a greenhouse at the dressing-room rooftop, and
- reshape the surrounding space with plantings.
Among the expected benefits are:
- the low energy footprint of the school,
- saving energy and financial resources required for the school operation, and
- nurturing ecological consciousness in children.
The energy-efficient buildings are linked to multiple benefits, contributing to the:
- decrease of greenhouse gas emissions,
- decrease of dependency on fossil fuels,
- treating atmosphere pollution in cities,
- tackling energy poverty, and
- improving the every-day lives of people residing in them.